Hello 2019! I can’t believe the past year just flew by. Looking back, I’ve done quite a bit in 2018. I continued to be a huge consumer of media — books, mangas, games, films, and musical performances. I travelled a bit more and got into the world of credit card points. I moved to a new city and flat close to my work. These are just the tip of the iceberg of my long year. I summarised my happenings using the same format from last year, so I hope you’ll enjoy my 2018 review!
New Books/Mangas: 16
Books/Mangas Re-reads: 135
Like last year, I did a lot of re-reads and read sixteen new books and mangas. My top three favourite new reads for this year are:
Here is my full GoodReads summary.
New Fanfics: 27 fics / 1,761,000 words
Fanfics Re-reads: 55 fics / 4,889,000 words
Total: 82 fics / 6,650,000 words
I re-read a lot of fanfics this year because I craved its familiarity. Long fics are just a good way for me to escape from reality!
Games Played: 10
Games Beaten: 5
I re-played a couple of games this year, but I tried to focus on some new games. The top three new games I enjoyed were:
These games really took over my life, especially Stardew Valley! I really enjoyed playing it on my PS Vita.
Anime/TV Series Watched: 7 / 40 episodes
Films Watched: 20 (10 new)
I watched way more animes, tv shows, and films this year. A good chunk of what I watched were documentaries. Of the new stuff I watched, Darkest Hour and The Breakfast Club were the films I enjoyed the most. For series, I really enjoyed this Auschwitz documentary. Here’s my film diary on Letterboxd.
I’ve not tried a lot of new skincare products this year, but I did try some new ones and these are the ones I ended up liking a lot!
* Estée Lauder – Advanced Night Repair Eye
* Hada Labo – Shirojyun products
* Lush – Tea Tree Water
* Mentholatum – Melty Cream Lip Balm Matcha
* Shiseido – Le Mondor Shampoo & Conditioner
My preferences have shifted to mostly Japanese products. Hado Labo, especially, has become my favourite brand of 2018. But the real winner for me was that matcha-flavoured lip balm!
Finally, here are all my major life happenings for 2018!
* Celebrated my 33rd birthday!
* Applied for a new credit card — AMEX SPG.
* Started driver’s ed to get my driver’s licence again.
* Winter Olympics took over my life!
* Continued my driver’s ed programme and continued to hate driving.
* Continued the horrible driver’s ed programme and eventually passed after failing several times.
* Bought a second generation PS Vita Slim after a massive discount with my gift card balance and points.
* Tried dim sum for the first time with S.
* Obtained my international driver’s permit for my trip to Guam and rent a car for the first time.
* Travelled to Guam and had a blast with bestie.
* Attended a Phantom of the Opera concert with Chibitoaster.
* Reunited with Shayne and had a blast hanging out with her in Itaewon and Ansan.
* Applied for a Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card.
* Received my CSR credit card after much application drama.
* Treated my parents and auntie to a luxurious buffet at Tavolo 24 in JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square
* Was in work hell and heat hell — not a good month at all.
* Reunited with C. in Suwon, though! That was lovely.
* Sent my parents, uncle, and auntie to Sokcho.
* Stayed overnight in Songtan twice.
* Travelled to Sokcho with a friend to escape the miserable heat and work.
* Attended an all-class high school reunion.
* Got stung by a hornet on my left ring finger, and it hurt and itched like a mofo!
* Attended the Final Fantasy Distant Worlds concert with Chibitoaster.
* Moved to Songtan into a new flat with my parents.
* Attended the Kingdom Hearts World Tour Orchestra Concert with Chibitoaster and K.!
* Stayed in Seoul over Columbus Day weekend.
* Applied for my third and last credit card of the year: Chase Freedom Unlimited card.
* Travelled to Tokyo!
* Flew business class for the first time and tried out airport lounges.
* Visited a butler cafe.
* Attended my last concert of the year with Chibitoaster — Kazumi Tateishi Trio presents “Ghibli Meets Jazz”.
* Went up to Seoul to stay up there for two nights.
* Had shabu-shabu for the first time.
* Went to team building workshop with my colleagues and made great food.
* Spent NYE with K. at a decent Italian restaurant in Songtan.