Plant, the vegan restaurant/cafe/bakery in Itaewon, sells these gluten-free lemon drop cookies. That inspired me to try making my own. I found this recipe to try, but I ran into a couple problems. I didn’t have any lemon juice or lemon extract. Instead, I had vanilla and almond extract along with sliced almonds . . . so I had the idea to try an almond variation!
It turned out pretty good. I felt like the cookies were underbaked in the centre, but according to the original recipe, it’s supposed to be “moist and soft” . . . so maybe that’s it? Perhaps next time I will try decreasing the temperature and set the cookies to cook longer. But regardless, my parents both liked the cookie, and so did I, so I guess this cookie is a hit. ^^
Almond Snowball Cookies
1 cup almond flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1 large egg white (beaten)
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 ~ 1/3 cup sliced almonds
1. Mix the flour and the sugar in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Beat the egg and add the extracts to the egg mixture.
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until the dough is formed.
4. Add the sliced almonds to the dough and mix.
5. Chill the dough for at least 2 hours, or overnight, in the fridge.
6. Preheat oven at 350F.
7. Roll out the dough into 2-inch balls and place them on a parchment-covered baking sheet.
8. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown.
9. Cool the cookies for 5 minutes and then roll them in powder sugar.