I’ve been wanting to cook lately, and I had a lot of recipes to try out. I ended up trying out this Buffalo Chicken Dip and Salsa Rice. Because I lacked a crockpot and an oven-safe pan with a lid, I did all my cooking on the stove.
I ended up replacing sour cream with Greek yoghurt and the blue cheese with feta. The substitution worked. I also added less hot sauce than the recipe called for because I didn’t want it to be too spicy.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1 cup fat-free Greek yoghurt
1/2 cup Franks hot sauce (or whatever hot sauce you like)
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 tsp white wine vinegar
2 cups (14 oz raw) cooked shredded chicken
1. In a pot, combine all the ingredients except for the chicken.
2. On low heat, mix and mush around until the sauce becomes smooth.
3. Add the shredded chicken and warm on low heat for about 5 minutes.
4. Serve warm with your choice of veggies and chips.
I think I have found my favourite way of making “Spanish rice” now. Nom! This rice dish really turned out well. I am not sure how it’d taste baked, but it tasted pretty darn good from the stovetop! Oh, and having cilantro really is a necessity — that herb really adds the flavour to the rice!
1 medium-sized onion, chopped small
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 tsp. olive oil
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles with juice (Anaheim chiles, not Jalapenos unless you want it very spicy)
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup salsa (I used Pace Picante Sauce)
1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 T + 1 T fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 cup long-grain rice (I used Uncle Ben’s Converted Rice)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or more)
1. In a pot, saute the onion and garlic with olive oil. Add the green chile and cumin and saute for another couple of minutes.
2. Add the salsa, chicken broth, and lime juice. Bring it to a boil.
3. Add the rice and mix well. Then lower the heat and cover.
4. Simmer for about 20 minutes until rice is done. Stir every so often.
5. When the rice is all cooked, turn off the heat and mix in the cilantro and more lime juice. Serve warm!