This post is old, so what you see here may not reflect my current opinion and mindset, certain information may be outdated, and links may be broken.
So I decided to try and mish-mash recipes to create this cake for Christmas. After I baked it, my mum and I ended up trying a bit of the cake (just so I don’t feed something disgusting and poisonous to my relatives) and it tasted pretty good. I may have to play around with the recipe (and the baking time!) to match the moistness of the butterscotch rum pound cake . . . but this is the recipe I ended up using.
Chocolate Amaretto Cake
1 pkg. (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
1/3 cup of cocoa (with another spoonful)
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of Amaretto (with extra splash)
1/4 cup of butter softened
Glaze and Topping
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Amaretto
1/2 cup (or more) of sliced almonds for topping
1. Preheat the oven at 350 F.
2. Mix the cake ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
3. Pour into a greased 13x9x2 pan (which is what I always use since I have no bundt pan or whatever).
4. Bake for about 30-35 minutes.
5. Mix the glaze ingredients (minus the almonds) in a saucepan at low heat.
6. After the cake and the glaze cools a bit, soak the top of the cake with the glaze using a spoon. Don’t use all!
7. Sprinkle the sliced almonds on top.
8. Use the remaining glaze on the almonded top.