This post is old, so what you see here may not reflect my current opinion and mindset, certain information may be outdated, and links may be broken.
After debating between London (too expensive and the one-way 24-hour flight turned me off), Sydney (less expensive than London, but I’d still spend a heck of a time on the plane), Manila (nothing to do there since I am not a beach or a mall person), and Tokyo the last two months of where I should go travelling in October, I finally decided to just say hell with it and go with Tokyo since that’s the place I’d feel most comfortable going by myself! I originally was going to go with a friend, but that didn’t fall through.
Now that Tokyo’s finally decided, now’s the time to choose the hotel. And now I’m stuck. Here’s my little dilemma:
Hotel #1: Akasaka Excel Hotel Tokyu
* A 3.5 star hotel.
* Cost for 6 nights + flight = $1,100+
* In a central location, meaning it’s a few subway stop away from Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi, and etcetera.
* Subway is right across the street from the hotel called Akasaka-Mitsuke Station.
* Has airport limousine and a shuttle bus to Disneyland.
* A clinic is right next door where the doctor speaks some English.
* This is where I stayed before.
Problem: The price. I mean because it’s expensive I was actually contemplating cutting down my travel day from 6 nights to 4 if I went with this hotel. Meaning I’d have less days in Tokyo, but it’s the only way to cut that hotel fee down!
Hotel #2: b ikebukuro
* A 2.5 star hotel.
* Cost for 6 nights + flight = $860+
* It’s all the way in Ikebukuro . . . which is about 30-40 minute subway ride from the central location of Akasaka.
* Subway is 3 minutes away at Ikebukuro Station.
* Has an airport limousine that drops you off at the nearby Sunshine City Prince Hotel.
* This area is where Otome Road is. AKA TC’s heaven of yaoi merchandise *_*.
* Oh. Apparently it’s a new hotel. O_O;; They just opened last month . . .
Problem: The hotel’s location is quite far from everything BUT Otome Road! Meaning I’m going to be spending a heck of a lot of time on the subway and paying for it as well. However, I do get two extra days in the city with this hotel. So that means, I can see more stuff than in four nights, right?
My question to you guys: would you rather spend the extra money for a hotel in a more centralised location or would you rather save that money and spend it on transportation since the hotel that’s far away is cheaper but . . . well location sort of sucks?!
See what kind of a pickle I’m in? Actually, no. Once I figure this part out, the most difficult part about this trip? Telling my mother that I’m going by myself. Even Dad said she’s going to flip out if I tell her that. Man.
Oh and spending money? Well, for a 6 nights trip, I was planning to take $2000 bucks . . . but if I do choose Akasaka as my hotel then I’d definitely cut my travels to four nights and only take $1500. Or maybe $2000 just in case.