This post is old, so what you see here may not reflect my current opinion and mindset, certain information may be outdated, and links may be broken.
I recently bought The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under on DVD. Over the years I have been trying to buy the DVD version of the films I liked as a kid, and of course I was into the whole Walt Disney Animated Classics shebang growing up! However, what I liked as a child and disliked as a child came with me into adulthood, and I’ve decided to only replace what I loved back then. These are the films I liked as a kid and want or will get on DVD or whatever one day.
- One Hundred and One Dalmatians — Never mind all those classics that came before this one, I’ll take this over them any day! Gotta love those dogs and Cruella De Vil. I was so happy to finally get this on DVD since I gave my VHS tape to my cousin who then gave it away . . . so I had no way of obtaining that back into my hands!
- Robin Hood — Come on. I still think Robin Hood had the sexiest voice ever — even if he wasn’t British, hahaha! And Prince John? He just cracks me up.
- The Rescuers — Miss Bianca and Bernard are made of many wins. Plus, the Rescue Aid Society’s song is just damn catchy!
- The Little Mermaid — I need to get the DVD for this one day. The film that began the Disney Renaissance collection :D The film that started to have those songs a lot of us are familiar with. The only thing I could never understand was — something I wondered when I got older — was why didn’t Ariel try to write her problem out to the prince or something.
- The Rescuers Down Under — Not as great as the first one, but still perhaps the only Disney sequel that turned out well. But did anybody notice how different Miss Bianca sounded in this one? I mean, yeah there was like a fifteen year difference since the first film, but still?
- Beauty and the Beast — Artistically and musically, this is my favourite Disney film of all. That beautiful opening scene still makes me go GUH. I love bookish Belle and all those characters at the castle. Plus, that library the Beast shows Belle? May I steal it?! Oh and let me bonk myself on the head for not getting the DVD when it first came out (actually, I didn’t even know it came out until two years ago ~_~;;). Now I have to either get it from a third-party seller or . . . wait until Disney releases it again.
- The Lion King — I love this one, too, but I hate how it is a rip-off of Tezuka-sama’s Kimba the White Lion series. However, if I can ignore that blatantly, obvious “theft”, I adore this film regardless. Don’t get me started on Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
The following films are honourable mentions — films I should like but . . . I will not buy the DVD or whatever for.
- Any of the classics like Pinocchio, The Sleeping Beauty, and etcetera — They just never made it special for me. Some of the films I watched a lot, but it still didn’t grab me like the ones above did! Oh well.
- Pocahontas — This film holds a special spot in my heart because it’s the first film I saw in a theatre. Plus, “Colours of the Wind” is probably my favourite Disney song of them all. But everything else is just blahhhh.
- Hercules — I liked it, I had fun watching it, but I HATED their portrayal of Hades. I know the film needed a villain, but if anybody had to be a villain, why couldn’t it be Hera? Hades is my favourite Greek deity, so to see that awful image of him in the film . . . I wanted to throw something at the screen and the writers!
Anyway, what are your favourite Walt Disney Animated Classics?